West Highlands, Lochs and Castles Small-Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
Leaving Edinburgh, you travel west, past Stirling castle to your first stop at Doune Castle*.
This castle was built over 600 years ago and is still in great condition. You’ll have time to visit the castle. And if you’re a fan of 'Monty Python and The Holy Grail', 'The Outlaw King', or the ‘Outlander’ series, you can learn about how the castle was used as a filming set.
You then continue through Callander and cross the Highland Boundary Fault Line leaving behind the rolling farmland for the wild mountains and forests of the Highlands.
You make a short stop at Loch Lubnaig and continue over the Braes of Balquhidder.
From Balquhidder, the tour winds its way through the tough knot of mountains known as Breadalbane (meaning the 'high country of Scotland').
Before lunch, you have a photo stop to admire Kilchurn Castle, a magnificent ruin situated on the edge of Loch Awe and former home of the Campbells of Breadalbane.
You continue along the banks of Loch Awe through Campbell country to the picturesque town of Inveraray on the shores of Loch Fyne.
Here you can admire the 18th-century castle (open to visitors April until October), take time to explore the town, or head to the Old Jail.
Leaving Inveraray, you take a drive up through the steep-sided mountains known as the Arrochar Alps to the great viewpoint at 'Rest and Be Thankful'.
You then skirt around Loch Long and down to the "Bonnie, Bonnie Banks" of Loch Lomond. You make a short stop at the conservation village of Luss, where you can wander around taking in its quaint houses and stunning views across the loch.
From here, you make your way back to Edinburgh, with a short photo stop underneath Stirling Castle.
* Note: This tour is running in reverse during the summer months until the end of September.
*Doune Castle - Due to ongoing maintenance work, you're unable to visit the interior of this site. You still get to stop for a photo of this legendary location.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Minimum age: 5 years|
What is included
- The stories and services of an English-speaking driver guide
- Transport in a 16 seat Mercedes mini-coach
- Small Group Tour with maximum 16 passengers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Min. age 5 years old. We do not accept children under the age of 5 years.
- Luggage Allowance: You're restricted to 14kg (31lbs) of luggage per person on our tours. This should be one piece of luggage similar to an airline carry-on bag (approximately 55cm x 45cm x 25cm / 22in x 17in x 10in) plus a small bag for onboard personal items.
- Please note that Inveraray Castle is open from April to October only
- Check in closes 15 minutes prior to departure
- Most travellers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travellers
COVID-19 - Important Information About Your Tour
- We’re following government guidance and doing everything we can to ensure you enjoy a worry-free adventure. This means you need to be aware of a few things before you join your tour.
Our Safety Procedures
You’re required to wear a face covering onboard our mini-coaches
You’ll receive a quick temperature check at your departure point
There’s a short COVID-19 questionnaire to answer when you arrive
Our mini-coaches have allocated seating to comply with one-metre indoor social distancing rules
Hand sanitiser is provided onboard our mini-coaches
When outside of our mini-coach, please comply with all government and 3rd party guidance regarding the control of COVID-19
Tour routes may change slightly, and certain attractions and facilities may be closed due to the Coronavirus. But don’t worry, your knowledgeable driver-guide will ensure you enjoy the best experience possible.
Doune Castle* – We reserve tickets for you. If you want to visit this attraction, please purchase your ticket whilst on tour.
*Due to safety inspection and possible maintenance work, Doune Castle is closed until further notice.
Inveraray Castle - The castle is only open on a few selected dates this year. On those dates, you will be able to buy a ticket from your driver-guide whilst on tour. On the dates when Inveraray castle is closed, we will try to arrange a photo stop instead.
Meeting Point Information
MEETING: Waterloo Place 6, Edinburgh EH1 3EG, Scotland, GB